Important Information Read
• 3 hours
Under the Triumphal Arch at Praca do Comercio. Look for a guide with a blue folder and "Lisbon Explorer" badge.
Reservations in advance are required and only clients with printed vouchers will be accepted.
- English speaking guide
- Entry fees
- Public transit during tour
Please note this is a public tour designed specifically for small groups of up to 8 people. Reservation in advance is absolutely necessary and guests without printed vouchers will not be accepted.
Daily at 1:30 pm.
Children up to 12 years old free of charge
Please present your voucher at the location 15 minutes before departure time.
Price from € 35 per person
Beyond the traffic congested streets downtown is Lisbon's oldest and most pedestrian friendly quarter. Discover the secrets beneath Castle S. Jorge from the Phoenicians and Romans to modern times. The Alfama is a labyrinth of narrow streets rich with stories of disasters, invaders, poets, musicians, and artists. Plus, rewarding views of the city from spectacular terraces (Miradouros) along the way.
This downhill walk reveals major sights which includes the birthplace of S. Antonio of Padua, walk past Fado taverns, markets and churches. The name Alfama comes from the Arabic Al-hamma, meaning springs or baths, due to the natural springs found in the area. During the Moorish invasion, Alfama was the center of Lisbon's daily activities, and over the centuries it became a slum for poor fishermen.
Today, this quaint quarter embraces its new affluent settlers along with the the old, where you will find stylish restaurants aside rustic cafes where the sounds of old trolley cars, and local music can be heard radiating into the streets.
All inclusive: guide, entry fees, taxes and public transit during tour
- The Castelo area, a history of Visigoths, Romans, Moors, Crusaders and Kings
- Alfama quarter and many quaint traditional streets
- Santa Luzia Miradouro, one of the most scenic overlooks in Lisbon
- Fado Taverns, the birthplace of Lisbon's rich musical heritage
- Walk past Se, the Cathedral of Lisbon
- Santo Antonio a Se, the birthplace of St. Anthony of Padua
- Praca da Figueira: A city of the dead, a hospital, a vegetable market, and a monument to one one of Europe's most intriguing characters
- Much much more... at the end of your tour our guides are happy to assist with finding other sights to explore and excellent restaurants that meet your interests and budget while avoiding the area tourist traps.
- Cancellation more then a week in advance: administration costs of 15%
- Cancellation between a week and 48 hours prior to departure date: 50% of the total amount
- Cancellation less than 48 hours prior to departure date : 100% of the total amount
- No show: no restitution